Friday, November 2, 2012

Argentine Tango and Lindy Hop

I took a couple Argentine tango classes, which are real eye-openers.  I've mentioned I'm a slave to the beat, I can always hear and hit the beat, even when there are other beats in the air.  I'm not steady enough to be a drummer, but I can get back on the beat pretty well (yes, I did play trumpet back in the day, why do you ask?).  Anyway, those Argentines consider hitting the beat an optional extra.  But god, it's beautiful and passionate and intimate, and it looks to be all about feeling where your partner is at, and communicating what you want.  Without the crutch of the beat.  Sensitivity and Leading.  Apparently Argentine is the original tango, American/Ballroom tango is the derived form. Yet another dance I have to learn.

I also ended up in a lindy hop class.  I was afraid it was too advanced for me, but it turns out it's just a jitterbug with kicking.  Actually, apparently, lindy hop is actually the original dance, and jitterbug is the later sub-form (which makes sense, it's easier).  Thank you wikipedia.  Anyway, it worked out well, because I feel pretty good about my jitterbug.  Plus, it's like the happiest dance ever.  Impossible not to smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment